Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I am a huge hypochondriac, and for the past 5 months, I have…

Customer Question
I am a huge hypochondriac...
I am a huge hypochondriac, and for the past 5 months, I have convinced myself that I am going mad. It all started one day, when falling off to sleep, I experienced racing thoughts. I immediately thought that I had schizophrenia. Then I started googling obsessively and keeping a catalogue of my symptoms. I also used to keep a diary of all the symptoms I thought I was facing. I was naturally very depressed and anxious. Initially, I was having extreme detachment from everyone and everything around me. However, then I started getting scared of random things around me- whenever I saw shadows, patterns, normal things, I started to get scared. I am not seeing anything that is not there, I am just getting scared of normal things for no reason. For instance, I will see a face in the clouds, and get scared. Or random shadows will scare me. Further, I also have floaters in my eyes, which I have always had, but now they scare me more. I also feel extremely tired all the time, and before this began, I used to have disrupted sleep. I feel miserable because everything I see or hear, I think its a hallucination and get depressed- I have googled so much regarding this. I just generally get the feeling that i am going crazy. In the sense, my visual and auditory hallucinations are very minor- often misperception of things I see that scare me, or thinking I heard a noise. However, there have been days when I am completely fine. I am 27 years old. Is there a chance this is not craziness.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mental Health
9/13/2016
Mental Health Professional: Dr. D. Love, Doctor replied 1 year ago
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer.

First, there is no such medical diagnosis as "crazy." However, the diagnosis of schizophrenia that you mention early in your post is a real medical diagnosis. So, if you instead ask your question about whether there is a chance that this is not schizophrenia, then the answer is that yes, it is possible that this is not schizophrenia.

The symptoms that you describe can also happen with more severe cases of anxiety or depression. And these mental health conditions are far more common than schizophrenia.

However, it is impossible to reach a proper diagnosis by self-examination, It will ultimately require a live evaluation by a mental health professional to be able to make a proper diagnosis.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor