Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

As a man in the Navy back in the Vietnam era I was Raped at

Customer Question
As a young man in...
As a young man in the Navy back in the Vietnam era I was Raped at 18 by two officers on two different occasions and told I could tell No one or I'd be sent to prison and court marshaled I suppressed those memories for 50 years until I decided to write my memoirs and was again in my late 50's being sexually harassed by my fellow workers and it started to come back in bits and pieces!
(1)Two part question after leaving the service with a undesirable discharge just to get away from the tormentors. When suppressed memories come back do they all come at once or like my case bit and pieces at a time?
(2) Although I was as a child promiscuous with girls and boys in a sexual nature at the time of enlistment considered my self neither gay or straight but maybe Bi. Now after the rapes my ego was destroyed and self esteem down very low. I started to have multiple sex partners in the hundreds, and hundreds with mostly men but also a few women without protection and using every drug on the planet except Heroin to anyone who'd hold me love me or just wanted me for sex and give me drugs to deaden the pain I was in deep down inside. So what Psychological mishap is going on in my head that made me after being Raped by two men against my will at 18 then to turn around and to go out and become a Slut? I am in a case against the Navy for PTSD which two or three Psychologist have said in accordance with the military code DSM.1V Determined I do have PTSD only to have my case denied!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mental Health
9/9/2016
Mental Health Professional: Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC replied 1 year ago
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Hello, and thank you for reaching out to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in New York. I am truly sorry to hear what has happened to you in the past and the self destructive ways that you dealt with the trauma you experienced.

1). There is not a black or white answer to this question. However, in most cases suppressed memories usually return gradually. The healthy part of our psyche that is trying to protect us from too much information or too intense material all at once is actively working on your behalf to read the environment and work sot only give you as much as you can handle. However, there are situations whereby actually a person can be triggered in such a way that a memory can come flooding back. This happens less often. I will answer your second question in my next thread.

I seem to be having a computer glitch and would like to send my first reply again to make sure you recieve it.

Your second question I believe relates to what was happening to you psychologically after the rapes when your behaviors became out of control. Here are some of the symptoms that we look for as clinicians in this case:

BEHAVIORAL SYMPTOMS OF RAPE TRAUMA SYNDROME

Behavioral symptoms are those things the survivor does, expresses or feels that are generally visible to others. This includes observable reactions, patterns of behavior, lifestyle changes and changes in relationships.

• Crying more than usual
  • Difficulty concentrating
  • Being restless, agitated and unable to relax or feeling listless and unmotivated
  • Not wanting to socialise or see anybody or socialising more than usual, so as to fill up every minute of the day
  • Not wanting to be alone
  • Stuttering or stammering
  • Avoiding anything that reminds the survivor of the rape
  • Being more easily frightened or startled than usual
  • Being very alert and watchful
  • Becoming easily upset by small things
  • Relationship problems, with family, friends, lovers and spouses
  • Fear of sex, loss of interest in sex or loss of sexual pleasure
  • Promiscuity
  • Changes in lifestyle such as moving house, changing jobs, not functioning at work or at school or changes to appearance
  • Drop in school, occupational or work performance
  • Increased substance abuse
  • Increased washing or bathing
  • Behaving as if the rape didn’t occur, trying to live life as it was before the rape, this is called denial
  • Suicide attempts and other self-destructive behaviour such as substance abuse or self- mutilation

PSYCHOLOGICAL SYMPTOMS OF RAPE TRAUMA SYNDROME

Psychological symptoms are much less visible and can in fact be completely hidden to others so survivors need to offer this information or be carefully and sensitively questioned in order to elicit them. They generally refer to inner thoughts, ideas and emotions.

• Increased fear and anxiety
  • Self-blame and guilt
  • Helplessness, no longer feeling in control of your life
  • Humiliation and shame
  • Lowering of self esteem
  • Feeling dirty or contaminated by the rape
  • Anger
  • Feeling alone and that no one understands
  • Losing hope in the future
  • Emotional numbness
  • Confusion
  • Loss of memory
  • Constantly thinking about the rape
  • Having flashbacks to the rape, feeling like it is happening again
  • Nightmares
  • Depression
  • Becoming suicidal

I can not say why your case is being denied, however I was once a air force wife and I know how institutional the military is. i think it would be really helpful to your case if you not only had a clinical person evaluate you for PTSD but also did counseling with you to help you with the symptoms. A clinical person validating that in fact you suffer from this as a result of the rapes and who can advocate for you can be much more effective. Again, I am so sorry this has happened to you and I am here to help you in any way I can. Please take a moment to rate my service to you, I would truly appreciate it and feel free to ask me more questions as well if you need to. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
As a disabled Vietnam Veteran on a limited income I can ill afford to pay $ 50 dollars for a phone call just to talk. One of the reasons my case I believe was denied that I never sought help from a Psychologist. I left the service in 68 and started experimenting with drugs Pot ! Of course alcohol and Peyote, masculine, Magic Mushrooms, and lots of cocaine. I found the Pot was a great help with my anxiety and depression I felt and so for the next 50 years I self medicated myself. I was of course at times left without when my suppliers got put in prison, and since we lived on a 10 acre ranch 60 miles N of San Francisco near the wine country a mile from Hwy 1 in a tiny town called Tomales we ran a small cafe for the next 20 years growing 10 to 15 plants of pot for personal consumption. Now back to the question and answer part is there a medical name for what I call my strange condition of being raped and then losing all inhibitions and even in the height of the Aids epidemic having un protected sex. One Psychologist said since I did not become addicted to any of the drugs I took and trust me it was extraordinary amounts that I didn't have an addictive personality but a destructive one Hell bent on destroying myself at all cost. I wish I could afford to get some help with my case and have someone like you give me an examination about me?

Hello again, if you would like to talk live I can offer you the phone call for $20.00 given your situation. Therapists with Just Answer share what the customers pay, so I can definitely charge you less if it would help. Please let me know. Unfortunately I can not do an assessment on you unless it is face to face. In addition your behavior after you were raped would be considered the symptoms of PTSD, just like the psychologists have said. I look forward to hearing from you. Sincerely, ***** *****

Linda D.
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC