LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  10 years post-MSW experience
25232551

Well I am really concerned about my daughter who is now 19

Customer Question

Well I am really concerned about my daughter who is now 19 in light of some things that have happened in my family I question if she was molested as a child
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: no doctor she has been diagnosed with bii polar disorder but she won't take the medication
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: no I was just wondering can a 5 year old learn to masterbate on her own or is it possible she was taught this?
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello?
Expert:  LeahMSWuofm replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for writing to us. My name is***** am sorry to hear about your current concern for your daughter. To answer your questions, 5 year olds are actually not to young to masturbate with no outside influence as they are prone to exploring their bodies and repeating behaviors that full good to them without a greater understanding of the sexual nature behind it. Was there something specific about the masturbation that you felt may have been taught to her?Are there other signs you have witnessed that make you concerned about abuse? Have you ever attempted to bring this up to your daughter?

I look forward to hearing back from you,

-Leah

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I mentioned it as I found out my niece was molested by a family member. So I wanted to talk to her and ask her if anyone ever touched her. She said ever since I asked her she keeps thinking that a certain person did touch her and she showed me a picture of how old she was when she thinks it happens (about 3-4 years old). She is very emotional and unsure if it really did happen or if I put it in her mind since I asked her.

Ugh. I am sorry this sprung up for your family. Repression of memories associated with childhood abuse does happen, although most people who were abused as children have some memory of it occurring. There is actually controversy in the mental health community over how common repression is. Your daughter was quite young though, so there is a chance that it happened when she was young enough to not have processed it or deemed it important enough to remember. especially if it was not recurrent. So although not probable, it is possible that although she didn't remember it before, that it actually did happen.

Now that you find yourselves in this position, it does warrant follow-up from a mental health professional, especially ass it is now causing your daughter distress.. If she is already being treated by a professional, encourage your daughter t bring up this issue, but only if she wants to at that very moment. Childhood trauma is best processed as young as possible and if ignored, it can "haunt" adults causing personal and interpersonal difficulties. Is your daughter currently seeing a therapist she trusts?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No there are no good ones around here

I am sorry to hear that. It could be very useful to her and you family, especially considering her bipolar. Do you mind if I ask your zipcode and general insurance type so I can get an idea how close your nearest options may be? Obviously this is a scary thing for your family and your daughter to have spring up and I'd hate to have you guys trying to confront this without support.