LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  10 years post-MSW experience
25232551

I am 7 weeks post partum. suffering from anxiety. before

Customer Question

i am 7 weeks post partum. suffering from anxiety. before pregnancy was on 60 mg/day of citalopram. was supposed to re-start it right after giving birth but worried about how it would effect the baby with nursing. Took it sporadically (about 60mg total over 5 weeks). read something about lexapro being better for nursing, asked the dr for it in week 6, took 2 5mg doses in 2 days it worsened my anxiety. went back on citalopram at a 5 mg dose for about 4 days now and my anxiety is worse again. What should i do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  LeahMSWuofm replied 11 months ago.

Hi, thank you for writing to us. My name is ***** ***** I'd like to help. First off, congratulations on your new baby! Babies are so wonderful and also so much work. I really understand this having two small children of my own.

I'm sorry to hear the anxiety has been bothering you since your delivery. I would definitely suggest that you try and brush the anxiety aside and follow your doctor's guidance on the medication choices. Since they were both prescribed to you by your doctor who is aware of your nursing, you can rest assured that the concern for effect on your baby is less of a worry than your anxiety detracting from your ability to enjoy being a new mother. The trick is to just pick one medication and stick to it. Typically, medications that were successful for us in the past are a good choice to restart as they are more likely to be successful again however Lexapro is also a good medication for many people with anxiety with high tolerability and low side effects. However, when starting a new medication or restarting an old one, there may be some initial side effects as our body gets used to having them in our system. It is highly likely that you have experienced break through anxiety without a stable med on board and possibly experienced some adjustment side effects as well. Usually, these early side effects dissipate within 2 to 3 weeks so people should really push through those early side effects taking their medication as prescribed daily to get the positive outcome of the medication. then at about the 4-5 week mark, most peiple are starting to experience a genarl decrease int heir sympotms wiith max benefit at 8-12 weeks.

So in a nutshell, it probably doesn't matter so much which medication you choose. If you feel the Lexapro is safer, then start it and stick to it. If you are still having trouble adjusting to the Lexapro with feelings of heightened anxiety, irritability, nausea, after the 3 week mark of consistent use, then you should talk to your prescribing doctor so the two of you can come up with a plan.

I hope this helps! Don't despair, everything will work out and you will feel better in no time. Congratulations again!

-Leah

Hello! I noticed this question was still open and wanted to know if you needed additional information from me in order to get it closed and rated. I look forward to hearing back from you,

Leah