Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Experience:  LMSW, CASAC
90967183

Its normal for an individual to have memories pop into their

Customer Question

Its normal for an individual to have memories pop into their head like someone put a tape into a VCR right? Daily occurence just depends on the smell/visual/audio trigger? Its weird, shit from twenty plus years ago (Im 30) to crap from lets say two months ago just plays vividly. Its all part of being a normal human. Helps with work, not gonna lie but thats normal right? Sorry to bother you with something you've probably heard/read a thousand times by now
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Linda D. replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to JA. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in NYS. I am preparing my reply and will post in one moment.

Expert:  Linda D. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Brian, yes, it can be normal to have memories pop into your head randomly. And yes, smells, sounds, faces, etc. can trigger memories. No need to apologize at all. It is good to have a professional validate our normalcy and/or point out if there is a red flag of concern. The only time there might be a concern is if the memories/thoughts were unwanted and intrusive, but that does not sound like your situation. You may test as having an excellent long term and short term memory which is one of the 10 major intellectual functions. I hope this information answers your question. Feel free to ask me another related question if you would like. I wish you all the best and would like to ask that you take a moment to rate my service to you as that is the only way we are compensated for our time. Thank you. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC