Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

My daughter is 32yrs old and for the last week has been sad,

depressed emotional, and very tired...
My daughter is 32yrs old and for the last week has been sad, depressed emotional, and very tired. She has had some weight gain. He current mood has affected her at work and at home we try to talk to her, but she either becomes snappy or cries because she doesn't know why she feels the way that she does. My husband and I feel helpless. I suggested she speak to a therapist, she is resistant.
8/12/2016
TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Therapist

Hello, I'd like to help you with your problem.

If your daughter is not willing to get help, it can be very frustrating and make you feel helpless. Getting someone to get treatment when they refuse is always difficult, especially when dealing with an adult that you have no control over. You want them to see the importance of taking care of themselves but for some reason, they refuse. It can be upsetting when you care about the person and they will not listen. You can see what they are going through, but they are not willing to address any of their own issues so they can recover.

If you can, try to see if your daughter is willing to see her own doctor. Sometimes a person will talk to their doctor when they refuse to talk to a therapist or psychiatrist. If she is willing to see her doctor, call ahead before her appointment to let the doctor know what is going on. He or she may not be able to share anything with you, but you can certainly tell them what you are witnessing with your daughter and they can address it with her.

You can also enlist the help of friends or other family members. Sometimes a person will listen to someone from outside of their immediate family because they are not so easy to dismiss.

Here are some other resources to help you with ideas on how to help your daughter:

http://www.heretohelp.bc.ca/publications/factsheets/families-friends-help

I Am Not Sick I Don't Need Help: How to Help Someone with Mental Illness Accept Treatment-Xavier Amador.

Watch for signs of her symptoms getting worse. If your daughter starts to say she wants to hurt herself or even someone else, you can contact your local ER to request to file a 302. A 302 is an involuntary commitment that forces your daughter to get an evaluation at the hospital. If the doctor who sees your daughter feels she is in any danger, they will admit her and provide the care she needs.

Don't forget to take care of yourself and to remind your husband to do the same. It is easy to understand the stress of caring for someone with a physical issue, but an emotional issue often takes its toll without us realizing how much we are affected. Take some time to talk to those around you that care and that you trust, like a pastor, friends and other family. Don't feel bad about going out just to take a break such as seeing a movie or even a short weekend away. Ask others to check in with your daughter but otherwise try to get some rest. It's hard to be there for her if you are too exhausted from worry and stress to do so.

Most of all, offer your support. Be there as much as you can for your daughter. Sometimes that is what makes the most difference in helping her to change and get the help she needs.

I hope this has helped you,

Kate

May I please request that if you find the service I provided helpful at all that you rate me with three or above? Your rating is the only way I am reimbursed for my answer. Thank you so much!

TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Therapist
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you very much for your quick response. I will certainly urge her to meet with her doctor. It just so hard to watch go through this. She lost her spark and it breaks my heart. You've been a great help. Thank You!

You're welcome! I am glad to help, anytime.

My best to you and your family,

Kate

TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn
TherapistMaryAnn, Therapist