How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Keane Your Own Question
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1379
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Keane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an adult taking Venlafaxine HCl XL, 150mg/day,

Customer Question

I am an adult taking Venlafaxine HCl XL, 150mg/day, prescribed to me by my primary care doctor. I want to quit taking this medication due to side effects. Is an internal medicine specialist qualified to help me do this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  DIEGO BONILLA replied 1 year ago.


This is Dr. Bonilla.

What is your question?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been on Venlafaxine HCl XR and want to get off of this drug due to side effects. I forgot to mention in my earlier comments that my primary care doctor is gone for at least 2 months and cannot help me. This is why I want to know if an Internal Medicine specialist is qualified to help me slowly switch to another antidepressant to avoid serotonin syndrome. I have done extensive reading about how to do this, but want the help of a doctor.
Expert:  DIEGO BONILLA replied 1 year ago.

I understand your concerns. You have to get a new PCP or a covering doctor to make a plan for you. Unfortunately in this website we cannot prescribe or make long term plans with patients. For now continue the same dose of the medication until you see a new doctor. I hope you understand. Let me know if you have more questions.


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your answer did not address your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wish to rate the nformation you did provide and log out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do not refer me to anyone else. I wish to rate. The first doctor and log off.
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.


Welcome to the site.

I am a psychiatrist and if you want i can help you with your query.