Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I don't see my psychiatrist til next month and would like yo

Customer Question
ask you a question before...
I don't see my psychiatrist til next month and would like yo ask you a question before I see her again
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mental Health
7/31/2016
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Autumn, Psychologist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Autumn
Dr. Autumn, Psychologist

Is your question medication related or therapy related?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
both i guess. since I have been treated with medication by my psychiatrist for my ADHD, I've noticed that another issue I have that seems to exacerbate when im on adderall is my social anxiety (which i havent talked to my psychiatrist about yet). im a salesman and social anxiety is a huge problem for me in sales as my job requires me to be in social situations
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
also, my coworkers treat me differently because im awkward at times due to my social anxiety, so i dont really feel like part of the "crew" and more of an outsider

Ok, I'm happy to help you with this. That actually makes a lot of sense, and I've seen it happen with many clients. Adderall can definitely help you focus more. However, it doesn't differentiate between things that you want to focus on and things that you don't want to focus on. So, it can actually cause you to focus more on your anxiety, when you might have been able to distract yourself from it before. Social anxiety can certainly be a very difficult thing to deal with, especially with your line of work, but also when you are trying to make friends. I would definitely suggest that you mention this to your psychiatrist, because they can add something to help with the anxiety. You may also want to seek out a therapist who specializes in anxiety because there are many things you can work on in therapy that can help with anxiety. The best treatment is usually a combination of medication and therapy. Does this make sense?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it does, how do I cope with this for the time being without medication? I'm a gym membership salesman and constantly get tongue tied, forget certain membership features, forget prices, talk fast, talk too much, and get shortness of breath mid conversations. this causes the client to lose trust in me and what im selling.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i also hate being an outsider amongst my coworkers.

I'm sure you do hate feeling like an outsider. No one likes that!

The first thing you should do is take a few slow deep breaths just before you go to meet with a client. This tells your nervous system to relax some. Then, while you are talking with clients or coworkers, try not to make any assumptions about what the other person is thinking. One of the huge problems with social anxiety is that your brain tells you that people are thinking the worst about you, or that you are doing a horrible job, or any number of negative things. If you can try to begin to let go of those assumptions, and replace those thoughts with positive thoughts (almost like a cheerleader in you head), you should find that your anxiety decreases. It won't be perfect, but it should decrease somewhat.

How does that sound?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sounds good, thank you. Should I ask a therapist on this site for further information on how to cope with social anxiety in my social life. because it has prevented me from keeping/making friendships and relationships. I am 20 years old and very good looking according to most girls, i just have a hard time talking with people without being awkward.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
by therapist i meant the relationship expert on this site.

You're welcome. I'm happy to give you some suggestions about working on your social anxiety if you would like.

I just need to step away from my computer for about an hour. Could I send you some suggestions at that time?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sure thats fine.

Great. I"ll be in touch shortly.

Ok, I'm back. Thanks for waiting.

The suggestions that I provided above regarding working with clients, will also work with your anxiety in your social life. We all tend to have assumptions that other people are judging us in social situations and if we can work on letting go of that, you will be amazed at how much more comfortable you will feel in a social situation.

I also mentioned above that you should seek out a therapist to help with the anxiety. This is important because, when you meet with someone in person, they can help you practice interacting with others, which will help you reduce your anxiety.

Another suggestion is to talk to one of your close friends about your anxiety. Then, they can often serve as a sort of "wing man" in those situations. If a close friend knows about your anxiety, they can often help you during those situations. Whether it means helping you to calm down and relax during difficult situations, or helping to encourage you to push yourself to do something when your anxiety may be keeping you from doing it.

Does this help?

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating. If not, please let me know so l can continue to help you. Thank you.

Dr. Autumn
Dr. Autumn
Dr. Autumn, Psychologist