Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I'm always sad! Yes I've lost very important family members…

I'm always sad! Yes I've...
I'm always sad! Yes I've lost very important family members and a relationship with my daughter's father ended in 2008. Though the relationship ended so long ago deep inside I have a lot of feelings for him. I've found out he has a new relationship and I am always crying, sad and frequently have thoughts of suicide. Am I depressed? (I am 45, and pre-menopausal)
7/29/2016
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker

Hello and thank you for writing to us. My name is ***** ***** I'd like to help. I am so sorry to hear that this sadness is such a part of your life. It can really feel awful and draining to be in emotional distress. Based on what you said and the amount of loss you have faced, it is absolutely possible and even likely that depression is a factor. Some common signs and symptoms of depression include lingering sadness, hopelessness, fatigue, worry, changes in sleep or appetite, change in motivation, general feelings of despair, trouble coping with loss, and thoughts of suicide. Only a couple of these need to be present and persistent (for more than two weeks, generally) for depression to be considered so based on your feeling of being always sad, it is very possible your symptoms aline with a diagnosis of depression.

While you are taking great care of your physical health, your emotional/mental health also warrants some attention. Treatment for depression is optimal when it combines counseling and medications but some patients prefer one over the other and both have proven effective in helping. The antidepressant class of medications are generally very well-tolerated, safe for long an short-term use, non-addictive, and most have very low side effects. If you are interested in trying medication, you should make an appointment to talk to your primary care doctor about how you feel as they are equipped to manage depression in patients and very likely to be willing to truly medication with you if you are interested.

And if you prefer to get counseling in addition to or before trying medications, some great counselors who accept your insurance can be found here...

https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/?utm_source=PT_Psych_Today&utm_medium=House_Link&utm_campaign=PT_TopNavF_Therapist

I hope this helps! Be hopeful that with the right support and care, you can overcome depression and get passed this so you feel like you can keep moving forward. Please let me know if you have additional thoughts - I look forward to hearing from you.

-Leah

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank You Leah. I do not have a primary health care provider (since the birth of my second/last daughter almost 12 years ago). Can you recommend any anti-depressant medications? (Kindly note that I do not reside in the USA).

Thank you for the rating. I apologize for not realizing you were outside the US. Some of the antidepressants that are well used right now due to low side effects, tolerability and general effectiveness are Zoloft, Paxil, Lexapro, and Celexa. If you do not have access to someone who could prescribe these, you could try some over the counter things that have shown effective in helping with mild to moderate depression. These include St. John's Wort, Sam-e, and omega-3. And as stated above, counseling is a good supplement to medications but also effective for depression without meds.

Good luck to you!! I sincerely ***** ***** feel better soon,

Leah

LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker