TherapistJen
TherapistJen, LCSW, CPC
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker.
64783947

I'm someone that's having issues with the fact that they're

Customer Question

I'm someone that's having issues with the fact that they're LGBT
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  TherapistJen replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me a bit more so I can support you fully?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm wondering how I can overcome worrying about my parents opinion on this matter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They don't seem as supportive as I'd like

Ah I see. That is a common worry and often parents do better than you think. May I ask how old you are?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
24

I may be wrong, but many parents know even long before you would tell them about your sexuality and just wait until you are comfortable. What has given you the impression that they won't accept you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My mom ended up telling me not to tell my dad and that she's "scared" when I told her

I am sorry to hear that. I imagine that was heartbreaking for you. Did you ask her what she is scared of? And how do you feel about telling your Dad or keeping it from him? What do you want?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My dad doesn't know
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't asked her
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She just told me not to tell my dad due to religious reasons

and what do you desire for yourself? What is causing you to reach out here now? I am assuming it is because you feel alone with this information but feel like you need to share it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I desire acceptance

I completely understand and I hear how you may not get it yet at this time from your parents. So it comes down to how you want to proceed...you can still live your truth without telling him or you can decide that you will take the chance and be free with your full self. There is no right or wrong way, only the way you desire.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can I go not caring what they think

Great question....first you must accept yourself and love all of you and make a commitment to yourself to live your life fully and with pride. You deserve that...once you gain this confidence and acceptance the thoughts of others may not come into play so strongly. It is natural for all children to want their parents approval for things so go easy on yourself.

Let me know how else I can support you.

I am here for you again if you need.

Good day. I see that you have several open requests. If you would be so kind to take a moment to offer a rating otherwise we are not given credit for our time. Thanks so much.