Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I feel no emotions but anger and apathy. I don't get sad,

happy, excited, or scared. I...
I feel no emotions but anger and apathy. I don't get sad, happy, excited, or scared. I have no emotional connection to anyone or anything but my daughter. And before I had her I didn't feel love for anything. I hardly ever get angry but it does happen maybe like once a month. But most of the time I couldn't care less. if my wife left it wouldn't bother me because i can't feel love anymore for another person. I was wondering what kind of disorder I might have to cause this.
7/25/2016
Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie, Mental Health Professional

Good evening and thank you so much for your message. I realize it'svdifficult to reach out. Please know I honor your courage.

My name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist in the Metro Boston area.

I'm so sorry you are feeling incredibly flat and rarely without emotion. I just need to understand a couple of things more fully before I respond....

How long have you had these symptoms of feeling almost numb?

Have you experienced any trauma or major life changes in the last year?

Are you struggling with any health concerns that may be contributing to your symptoms?

Are you taking an medications? If so, have you had any changes in dosages recently?

Thank you so much. My apologies for all the questions. I want to ensure I fully understand your situation.

Take good care and look forward to hearing back from you.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie

I am often told that I am cold and soul less. No trauma or anything like that. It might be hereditary since my mother is like me in a lot of ways but may case is way more advanced. I don't take any medication for anything other than advil for a headache once in a while. I have felt this way since I was about 20 and it is getting worse all the time. Nothing happened then I just quit caring about others feelings and abandoned most of my own. And when I get mad it's not at little things. I just have no patience for other people stupidity. Or my wife comes in and try to throw her emotions around. She is very emotional and wears her feelings on her sleeve. I on the other hand am very blunt in my speech and very apathetic most of the time. I am a realist, glass not half full, glass not half empty, it's just a half a glass of water. As you can imagine this does not set well in a relationship and causes fights and then I go from apathy to anger.

I am so sorry you struggling. I imagine you frequently feel detached from others. Do you with you could connect but simply are unable to? Do you try to connect with others without luck? Or, do you simply not care about connecting or understand others? Are you able to feel empathy at all? Perhaps sadness when watching the news and hearing about innocent individuals who have been hurt?

Honestly I don't care to connect Stan emotional level. I don't get sad about stuff on the news or anything. My dad cried last December and that didn't bother me much either. I was kinda sad the first day but after that I've been fine. Cried once. That was the fist the since 2002. And I was hurt then so it wasn't an emotional cry

Thank you so much for your quick response. It's impossible for me to diagnose you without meeting you in person but it sounds like you might have a personality disorder....possibly an Antisocial Personality Disorder. This article from Psychology Today provides a breakdown of the various personality disorders and provides a general overview: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/hide-and-seek/201205/the-10-personality-disorders

Another possibly may be significant depression. Do you struggle with functioning in your daily life? Or, do you feel an incredible heaviness at times? Do you sleep very little or a significant amount? Struggles with appetite at all?

No I get hungry I eat. I work nights and sleep all day. Well about 6 hours but I can sleep 12 and still feel this way. I don't feel depressed. I just don't want to mess with people and their upstream emotions. I feel like Spock I guess. I am a very logical thinker. I think with my head and never my heart. Last time I felt love I guess was to my ex wife. And this affliction caused the end of that marriage. I loved her at first but after a while I just quit caring. And I don't love her anymore matter of fact don't even like her. Haven't talked to her since September 2012 when I left. I don't know if that has something to do with it or not. I don't think so but never know about the subconscious. I've looked it up and sounds like alexithyma but all the lines don't connect. Is that a possibility?

Good evening and thank you for your e-mail.

Alexithymia may very much be the case. It may also be something on the spectrum such as Asperger's. I highly recommend having a psychiatric evaluation done to have a very clear diagnosis as well as a treatment plan for moving forward.

I believe once you are aware of what is going on, you can move forward with a clear plan of how to manage your symptoms.

Again, my apologies for not being able to completely nail a diagnosis for you. It's incredibly difficult without sitting with you in person.

Is there anything else I can do to assist you further? I want to ensure you are pleased with my service. I also gently request you provide a star rating for me. Of course, we can continue to talk after the rating is provided.

Please take good care of yourself and feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie

Therapist Leslie
Thank you

Thank you so much for your kind rating. Please feel free to reach out if there is anything at all I can assist you with.

Take good care,

Leslie