How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Linda D. Your Own Question
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 669
Experience:  LMSW, CASAC
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Linda D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I cannot be in the same room with my son. He is delayed, he

Customer Question

I cannot be in the same room with my son. He is delayed, he has been raped at school, we both have epilepsy and he has intermittent explosive disorder
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Linda D. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in New York State. Thank you for using Just answer, I can hear how terribly distressed you are. Fortunately this disorder is treatable.Intermittent explosive disorder is a chronic disorder that can continue for years, although the severity of outbursts may decrease with age. Treatment involves medications and psychotherapy to help him control his aggressive impulses. Individuals with IED have often been influenced to learn these behaviors from the environment, they have witnessed violence and aggression. But what we have learned, we can unlearn. I am going to give you a link that may help you find possible mental health providers in your area that are for families with limited finances.

It would be best if you could go to therapy together to learn how to be partners in changing behaviors. Seeing a Naturopath is also a great idea, since research shows that brain chemistry is also a factor in IED. I know you are discouraged and probably exhausted from dealing with your son and trying to help him. But please don't give up. He is young and can change with professional help and support. Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Expert:  Linda D. replied 1 year ago.

Hello Teresa, I am checking in to see if I can help you any further with your concerns regarding your son. If not, I would appreciate you taking a moment to rate my service to you. I truly appreciate it and wish you both all the best. Sincerely, ***** *****