How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LeahMSWuofm Your Own Question
LeahMSWuofm, Clinical Social Worker
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 674
Experience:  10 years post-MSW experience
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
LeahMSWuofm is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have terrible panic attacks to the point where I can't

Customer Question

I have terrible panic attacks to the point where I can't breathe or go to work
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: For about 8 years, severe panic disorder runs in my family. I get them several times a day. I used to be prescribed clonozam (Kpins I think they are called) but then we swtiched insurances so we couldnt use the doctor I was using anymore
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: No, I just have been struggling with ADHD and Panic disorder for years. I have never taken anything for my ADHD though
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Psychologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  LeahMSWuofm replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for writing to us. I am sorry to hear you panic attacks are so consuming. Too bad your insurance disrupted your past system for keeping them at bay. Traditionally, if a med like klonopin worked for you in the past, it may well work again. You can look at your current insurance provider's website to locate psychiatrists and counselors who can help you get this back under control. Because of the severity, I would propose psychiatry as opposed to your primary care doctor. although primary care providers should be able to help manage anxiety and can be easier to get in to see.

I am proud of you for reaching out here. It does seem like you need to seek ongoing professional assistance for this due to your explanation of how bad your anxiety it. That can be so consuming and difficult to live with. Have hope that once you reestablish care with someone under your new insurance and get back on your med, the panic attacks should respond. i do also recommend you consider counseling in addition to the meds to continue to work on the roots of this anxiety. An alternative to your insurance website where you can search counselors and psychiatrists and also sort by insurance is below...

Hope this helps! please let me know if you have any questions.