Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I have so much to say. I started liking this band a few

Customer Question
years ago and then my...
I have so much to say. I started liking this band a few years ago and then my anxiety took over and made me become obsessed because I didn't want to lose them. This caused my family to make fun of me and constantly down me for listening to them a lot. I don't want to quit listening to them, but I don't want to lose interest in them. My job is stressing me out more than anything. Besides the band thing, my parents and siblings tease me anyway. I'm old schooled. Have a lot of older views and values. Listen to mostly 40s - 80s music. They don't like this. I wish I could move out, but I know that if I moved out, I would probably never talk to them again. I literally tense up around my family, which I'm around them 99% of the time. I have no room to be myself. I share the basement with my sister, who is completely opposite of me and yells at me when I try to listen to my CDs. I always get told to shut up when I talk about music. I have no friends. I don't go anywhere except work because my parents still haven't gotten tires for their car so they can teach me. I feel on edge and tired 100% of the time. I feel like crying, but I don't want to because it will bring attention to myself. My parents won't let me go anywhere unless I write down the person's name, address, phone number, and prove that I know them all because of a mistake I made last year. It was one freaking mistake. I constantly get criticized by my family because I don't live like a "normal 19-year-old." I'm a vegetarian and they don't like that. I'm afraid to get better because I feel like I'll lose interest in the band and just ... ugh.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mental Health
7/5/2016
Mental Health Professional: Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC replied 1 year ago
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Hello Hannah, my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed psychotherapist in private practice in New York State. Thank you for using Just Answer. I can hear how difficult it is for you at your age to be so controlled by your parents. This is very unfortunate for your healthy growth and emotional development and I commend you for reaching out and expressing how difficult this for you. Anxiety, Hannah, is often about underlying feelings of not being in control.which in many ways you are not in your own home. Worrying about losing the band is just another way that you are expressing feelings of not being in control. No matter h0ow much of a hard time your family gives you about who and what you believe in you just be strong and be true to yourself. Someday you really will have more independence because I can see you have a fighting spirit and you will make that happen. But please in the meantime, hang onto your sanity and do what feels right to you whenever you can. I am here for you Hannah, Sincerely, ***** ***** LMSW, CASAC

Hannah, I would appreciate you rating my service to you as this is the only way we are compensated for our time. Thank you so much. Linda D., LMSW, CASAC

Linda D.
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC