Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I am 57. My husband is 66. We love each other dearly and

Customer Question
I am 57 . My...
I am 57 . My husband is 66 . We love each other dearly and have been together for almost 30 years .
His interest in sex is diminishing . He will have sex if I ask but I can feel he is not into it .
I want him to want me more than I want the mechanics of it . His desire is important to me This seems to be lost .
What makes it worst is that I have tried to talk to him about it and he just gets angry and dismissive so I do not bring it up anymore .
He is affectionate otherwise which is good . I am just not ready to shelf our sex life right yet.
I feel sad , disconnected and lonely . I feel like I am grieving .
I have never reached out in this fashion before but I don't know who else to talk to .
Can you help deal with this ? Either by myself , within myself or with him ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mental Health
7/3/2016
Mental Health Professional: khagihara, Doctor replied 1 year ago
khagihara
khagihara, Doctor

How tall is he? How much does he weigh? Any weight change? When did it start? Does he have erection early in the morning? Any erection problems? Any ejaculation problems? Does anything make it better or worse? Any other symptoms? Are you aware of anything which might have triggered it? Any medical problems? Any surgeries? Any medications including over-the-counter pills and herbs? Any family medical history? Is his stress increased at home or work just before the problem started?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok . A lot of questions .... In the last year he has gained weight , retired and there has been stress . For both of us . Marriage is strong . The one thing that has the most impact for him , I believe , is that he has developed a curve in his penis. I forget what the term for this condition is . This has affected his ability to stay inside me when thrusting . Which is frustrating for him and I. We work around it and are able to satisfy each other in the end . To answer a few more of your questions .
No medications
No problem with ejaculation .
No medical /health problems .
No surgeries .
Erection is a little slower .
No problems at all maintaining erection .

It seems to be Peyronie's disease (PD). The cause is unknown and most likely represents a combination of factors including chronic minor injury and genetic susceptibility. Patient and partner quality of life are significantly impacted, as men with PD are at increased risk of depression, relationship difficulties, and body-image issues. He should see a urologist to have exam. If mild curvature worsens or causes sexual dysfunction, we suggest medical and/or surgical management. He should have an intralesional injection with oral pentoxifylline and physical therapy (traction) to treat PD patients with moderate deformity (30 to 90 degree curvature) and an intact erection.

khagihara
khagihara
khagihara, Doctor