Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I was prescribed ativan. 5 mg three times a day to help

Customer Question
I was prescribed ativan...

I was prescribed ativan. 5 mg three times a day to help stabilize my anxiety and mood. I honestly feel fine all month except right before my period which is now. The anxiety and sadness is just too much to handle, so the ativan was prescribed. Except I'm anxious thinking about becoming addicted to it or the side effects from it to effectively do my job. I called the pharmacist and he said I could start with.25 2 times a day. What are your thoughts?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?

The anxiety started in march, and got worse and worse and worse utility may when I started having panic attacks and feelings of doom and crying uncontrollably. I was started on effexor. And went into an intensive outpatient program for anxiety and depression.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?

I was previously on effexor and Trazodone for 8 years prior to getting pregnant. Then went completely off effexor and down to 25mg trazodone. Was completely fine during all pregnancy and at 9 months most partum it all went down hill

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mental Health
I also wanted to add thst I was prescribed .25mg xanax and I've only taken it twice, which was around my period. So it worries me to not have to take a benzoyl around the clock now. I don't want it to mask my feelings or make me feel tired. I took .25 mg ativan this morning upon waking up.
I think I'm also looking for some reassurance that based upon my symptoms prior to my period this all hormonal and in theory could be easily fixed. Thank you!
7/2/2016
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

Well you see it is very important to have a strategy while weaning off ativan so that there is no withdrawal symptoms.

-- start with 0.5 mg twice a day x 10 days

-- Then 0.25 mg twice a day x 1 week

-- Then 0.25 mg once a day x 1 week

-- Then 0.25 mg every alternate day x 10 days

-- Then stop the drug completely.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards

would agree that adding ativan into the mix is fine to stablize me? And do you think this is hormonal based on I feel relatively normal the rest of the month?

What you experience as anxiety and panic just before your periods is called as Premenstrual syndrome and yes it could be controlled with the use of current medications one of which is ativan and yes it is hormonal in origin. Using ativan is going to help you ease your premenstrual anxiety.

I hope this sums it up for you.

Wish you speedy recovery.

Regards