Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Fifth night in a row I've gotten no sleep. Anxiety or stress

Customer Question
is taking a toll on...
Fifth night in a row I've gotten no sleep. Anxiety or stress is taking a toll on getting through the day. Recently lost my job and dealing with a break up so its situational but it keeps getting worse
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: I purchased an essential oil diffuser using lavender which helped in the beginning, warm baths, meditation...: all seemed to be working for awhile but now it's just hard to regulate or predict the onset
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the psychologist should know?
Customer: I'm very tense and holding all my stress - I used to get panic attacks but haven't had one in close to a year
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Psychologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mental Health
6/28/2016
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

Well, it is quite evident from your history of recent events in life such as loss of job and break up that you are under extreme duress and it is this stress which has derailed your sleep pattern and brought in insomnia. Now, this stressful situation needs to be tackled well and as soon as possible so that not only your sleep can be revived but panic attacks can be best prevented from occurring which have troubled you in the past.

So, i suggest that you can try two herbal remedies such as St. Johns wort for anxiety and stress And Valerian root extract tea at night time with / without milk or honey as flavor for insomnia.

St. johns wort is widely known as the herb which has good effects over anxiety and stress and you may try it at dose of 220 mg of 0.3 % extract three times a day initially and when stress and anxiety has been managed you may start taking it twice a day.

As far as valerian root extract laden tea is concerned it shall be taken at night, it may be added with milk or honey to suit your taste. This herb is known fr its sedative action plus it may also contribute in lessening your anxiety and stress.

So try out these two herbal remedies which can be availed over the counter for now and continue practicing sleep hygiene.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
St. John's wart was actually my Chiropractors suggestion as well and I ordered from life extension. 2 weeks & little relief. Valerian root and micro dose of melatonin & magnisium i have been taking at bedtime. I am not comfertable with sleeping pills as i dont like the "hangover" feeling in morning. Ugh! I dont have insurance at this time otherwise i woud go to my psychiatrist to adresss anxiety.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
tO control anxiety and prevent attacks i was presribed a. Medication that worked wonders because it had almost an instant effect relieving my anxjety. Took as needed but now dont remember what it was called. Without insurance however i have no way of seeing my psych. I apologize for wasting your tIme

You may add chamomile tea at late evening along with the other herbs for augmenting the overall action for inducing sleep.

Regards

Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist