Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I am on my second day of lexapro As prescribed by my

Customer Question

I am on my second day of lexapro
As prescribed by my psychiatrist to take 5 mg before bedtime. I awoke 3 hours ago with nausea and panic attacks. What can I do to calm down? I have kolonipin in the house but I don't want to take anything else without talking to a doctor.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 1 year ago.

Im sorry to hear about your panic attacks. can you specify what symptoms you are having? Chest pains? sweating? shortness of breath etc? Any other medical conditions that you might have?

Since you seem to be offline ill leave a response here which we can discuss later on,

The first thing to consider here is whether or not you are having painic attacks or are the symptoms which you are experiencing related to another underlying problem. the one i would be most concerned about is the heart which can present with chest pains, sweating, shortness of breath and pain which radiates to the arm and the jaw. This would require IMMEDIATE medical attention in the form of a EKG and a set of cardiac enzymes. You would have to go to the ER in such a scenario.

Secondly if there is any abdominal pain alongwith the nausea or abdominal tenderness that again is an indication for you tyo visit the ER to rule out serious underlying issues like cholecystitis or pancreatitis.

But if there are none of the above symptoms then you can try to relax by using breathing techniques, deep breaths and if that doesnt work, klonopin can be used as this does not have any interactions with lexapro. However even in the case of painic attacks it is wise to seek medical attention especially if you have so much shortness of breath that it causes you to experience numbness or tingling in the limbs or even muscle cramps. In such a case breathe into a paper bag and go to the ER or urgent care center.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/