Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

Have you ever done ECT and what are the tests you have done

Customer Question

Have you ever done ECT and what are the tests you have done prior to treatment (heart etc)?
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Electric Shock Therapy)
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

I am a psychiatrist and I have carried out ECT. The tests which are done prior to ECT other than detailed medical, psychiatry and neurological history are as mentioned below.

1) Complete blood count

2) Kidney function test

3) ECG

4) Chest X ray

5) Serum chemistry

6) Urinalysis

7) Cognitive assessment test

8) EEG ( if the history suggests )

I hope this helps.

Wish you all thebest .

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can ECT cause arrhythmia? I know you have to have your heart checked prior to having it done. Is there any risk of a heart attack?

Yes rarely arrhythmia can occur and very rarely heart attack can occur as a complication of general anaesthesia which is used for ect.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How rare is it? If you have all the tests for your heart doesn't that make it 100% safe from getting arrhythmia?

You see if a heart condition has been ruled out then there are very high chances that arrhythmia or any other heart related problem would not occur but still a side effect such as this cannot be predicted and there is no percentage wise evidence of its occurrence but it is extremely rare so much so that there is almost no chance for it to occur if there is no predisposition for it.

I hope this helps.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last question. Are you closely monitored in hospital so that if you were to have a heart attack it can be prevented? And arrhythmia can be found?

Well, absolutely there is continuous monitoring and supervision from an anaesthetist, ppsychiatrist and nursing staff during the whole procedure so that any problem if at all occurs can be prevented whether it is arrhythmia or heart attack. Ect is a very safe procedure.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Regards

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was meaning that after treatment are you monitored in hospital the next day? I heard a guy died after having shock treatment the next day because he developed cardiac dysrhythmia. Are you constantly hooked up to a machine to watch over the heart? I know you have it done for weeks in a row and up to 3 times a week. Is your heart constantly getting checked in between treatments?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's the article about him dying.

Well, before ect one is supposed to pass the pre anaesthetic check up and during this check up the pa antient is thoroughly assessed and investigated so that no untoward event occurs during anaesthesia, including arrhythmia. So there is no need to worry as the procedure is done with certain amount of precision and professionalism.

I hope this helps

Regards