Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

Horrible anxiety and panic attacks, I've been dealing with

Customer Question
Horrible anxiety and panic attacks JA...
Horrible anxiety and panic attacks
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: I've been dealing with it for years, seems to have gotten worse since the passing of my father
JA: Please give me a bit more information, so the Psychologist can help you best.
Customer: Like what
JA: Is there anything else the Psychologist should be aware of?
Customer: I'm being treated for depression
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Psychologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mental Health
6/9/2016
Mental Health Professional: John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC) replied 1 year ago
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)

I'm sorry you are experiencing this. Both grief and anxiety are difficult to deal with. it sounds as if you are caught in a vicious cycle with the two. I do have some questions. Could you tell me moe about your relationship to your father, his loss, and how you have resolved his loss? What esactly is usually going on when you have these attacks. What have you tried to prevent them? How do you get one to stop? I really doo want to help you, but the answers to these questions could help me do that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Relationship with father was great....the panic attacks come out of no where.i feel so much pain in my chest and my entire body is tense
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just wait it out, but it effects me everyday....I can't concentrate on anything

I really am sorry to hear this. I have suffered panic attacks myself. A person cannot understand unless they have experienced it. My life was good, I had a caring supportive family, and I had tremendous hope for the future. When these attacks came on I worried about everything and lost all hope. I had counseled others in relation to anxiety. When I experienced it, my whole outlook changed.

I say all this to point out mine was totally chemical. This went on for months, I ended up inpatient. They adjusted my meds the first day and I was a different person the next. I'm not saying your problems are your meds nor necessarily you need new meds, but you probably ought to discuss it with your doctor.

The other possibility is you have not fully grieved your father. Some times it takes years to get over a loss. Very often people get stuck in the grief process. If you have not fully accepted your father's loss you might need to revisit your loss.

I'm not sure what this means for you. It could mean a visit to his grave or a visit to your favorite hangout with him. You may need to do some soul searching.

I hope that is helpful. I do want to help and am open to further discussion if you wish. Just let me know.

John-Michaels
John-Michaels
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)