Therapist Leslie
Therapist Leslie, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Owner and Psychotherapist at Self-Employed, Private Practice
94172775

What is the treatment (medication wise and therapy wise) who

Customer Question

what is the treatment (medication wise and therapy wise) for someone who has severe emetophobia that has also caused agoraphobia and has panic attacks daily? Is this something that could ever be cured?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Therapist Leslie replied 1 year ago.

Good evening and thank you so much for your message. I realize it's difficult to reach out. Please know I honor your courage.

My name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist in the Metro Boston area.

I am so sorry you are struggling with emetophobia, agoraphobia and panic attacks. I realize it must be absolutely debilitating. Yes, this is something that can absolutely be managed through proper medication and psychotherapy. I am not a psychiatrist but do know a serotonin-specific reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) combined with a Benzodiazepine are usually the best medication regiment.

In terms of psychotherapy, I would specifically seek a therapist who specializes in working with anxiety disorders and uses a combination of cognitive behavioral and exposure therapy.

While looking for a therapist, I would highly recommend a book called, "The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook" by Edmund Bourne. It's available on Amazon and in bookstores and is full of techniques to manage anxiety.

Have I answered your question? Is there anything else I can do to assist you further? I want to ensure you are pleased with my service. I also gently request you provide a star rating for me. Of course, we can continue to talk after the rating is provided.

Please take good care of yourself and feel free to contact me with any questions you may have.

Warm regards,

Therapist Leslie