How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask John-Michaels Your Own Question
John-Michaels, Counselor (LPC)
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 611
Experience:  25+ years helping people find solutions...
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
John-Michaels is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband graduated with a modified gh school diploma and

Customer Question

My husband graduated with a modified high school diploma and was in Special Education classes from first thru the twelfth grades. Now hes just been diagnosed with hemophilia. My question is since he has only ever made a living as a general laborer , with difficulties because of his learning disability most employers let him go after a couple of months , would it be benificial to apply for SSI or SSD? He can no longer do hard labor because of the risks of head injury or internal bleeding if injured on the job. Hes is 31 years old, has never held a job longer than 4 months and has been to prison twice. He wants to work and works hard , he just cannot do labor anymore and learning a trade, well, i dont believe thats feasible.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  John-Michaels replied 1 year ago.

That is a decision only youand your husband can make, and ultimately him. I would say though it would be worth looking into and thinking about.

Something to consider though is the difficulty in being declared disabled. You would need to talk to a lawyer and probably an MD and psychologist to find out if you possibly qualify. Even then it could be a long drawn out process.

On the positive side though, there are programs of employment and training available for the disabled that likely aren't available unless he is declared disabled (though I'm not sure how his prison record would affect that). Then there is the income and benefits that come with drawing disability.

As I said, the decision is your's, but I believe it would be worth discussing. I hope that was helpful. Let me know if you have further questions.

Related Mental Health Questions