How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Z Your Own Question
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 10643
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Z is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am going to my doctor to see if there's a medication that

Customer Question

Hi, I am going to my doctor to see if there's a medication that will help control my emotions. I get upset about something and I can't stop crying. Sometimes it keeps me up all night and I can't stop and it feels like I can't control it.
JA: OK. The Psychologist will need to help you with this. Is there anything else important you think the Psychologist should know?
Customer: I don't think so it's just I'll go from feeling content to crying non stop.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Psychologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. May I ask, is your question concerning what medications you may want to discuss with your doctor beforehand?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just looking for a medication that may help control emotions/anxiety. A few times a week I can't sleep because I am up thinking or crying all night. It seems when I get upset I start crying and I can't stop for hours. I've tried different things to get my emotions under control but it seems they are out of control
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Well you should ask your doctor about taking a SSRI antidepressant like Lexapro or Zoloft as these are very effective and have a low rate of side effects like weight gain, insomnia, or sexual dysfunction. In addition, you also want to ask your doctor for a sleep aid like a low dose of Trazodone or Doxepin, or a stronger medication like a benzodiazepine to help you sleep at night and suppress these crying spells.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will definitely talk to her about those. Thank you!
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome. I hope you feel better soon.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.