How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Z Your Own Question
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 10643
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Z is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it legal or appropriate to give and 84 year old with

Customer Question

Is it legal or appropriate to give and 84 year old with Al.zhimers and who cannot walk or stand up Depakoet 250 Mg 2 x a day to prevent them from trying to stand up since the medication has a lot of bad side effects.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I cannot speak for the specific legality of this issue, like what laws the doctor would or could be breaking, since I am not a lawyer, but I can tell you that it would be highly unethical to give Depakote to a patient just to prevent them from standing up or walking as that is not the intent of the medication nor does it benefit the patient's quality of life. Given that this would most likely be unethical, it would open up the physician to negligence and possible malpractice law suits. So as a mental health professional, I can tell you that this would be unethical and could open him/her up to malpractice civil law suits and possible criminal legal action as well, but as for what specific laws the doctor may be breaking I would not know and it would be best to talk to a lawyer about that.