Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I don't understand what antidepressants & antipsychotics do

Hello I don't understand what...
Hello I don't understand what antidepressants & antipsychotics do to people, I hear they block serotonin and dopamine. Is that true, isn't that an unhealthy and dangerous thing for you ?
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/4/2016
commissure

This is Dr. David

there are different types of antidepressent medications

common types of SSRI or selective serotonin uptake rehibitor antidepressants selectively inhibits serotonin reuptake allowing for more serotonin in the neuron synapses in the brain which helps with neuron communication.

second generation antipsychotics are known to help antidepressants work better in patients who have more advanced depression or anxiety symptoms which the antidepressants alone are not helping.

these second generation antipsychotics work by affecting dopamine D2 receptors and also serotonin 5-HT2 receptors in the brain.

these drugs are not unhealthy and are not dangerous, but do have some risks for side effects, depending on the medication.

they are tested in animals and patients and have been studied in thousands and thousands of patients.

having an untreated psychiatric disorder of severe depression or severe anxiety or severe schizophrenia or psychosis is also very dangerous as well

so these risks need to be weighted and balanced.

let me know if you have questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was concerned because there are websites online that say that people under the age of 24 who took antidepressants/antipsychotics, mainly antideprerssants though, have comitted suicide and felt fearful, their depression has worsened. Are these just rumors or...?

there are small risks for suicide when certain anti-depressants are taken

but there are higher risks for suicide if you have untreated depression or schizophrenia as well

so there are risks for suicide even if you don't take anti-depressants.

Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya, General Physician, Medical Researcher, All medical and Health questions answered.

Thanks for requesting a new doctor.

Now, what you said is right.

antidepressants & antipsychotics block serotonin and dopamine, and when they are taken by normal people without depression and brain function/neuro transmitter disturbance, they are dangerous.

But, But, when you already have a disturbance of chemicals in the brain, these drugs help in correcting them, improve your mood, stop the progress and prevent complications.

That is why it is important to chose the right drug and right dose for every condition which your Psychiatrist will do.
Hope this helps.

Request to leave a positive rating, so that I'm compensated for the answer.

Best Regards

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you, ***** ***** a cymbalta pill at 30 mg yesterday and I began breathing very heavy and I felt panicked and scared. When I went to the hospital they told me they couldn't do anything for me; I still don't feel well but not as bad as yesterday. What is going on? Does the medication live permanent damage?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How are the medications dangerous for normal people?

No, not at all. Don't worry. No damage.

The thing is any Psychiatric drug taken time to adjust with your body, you will have no symptoms like this in a week.

You will get adjusted.

While stopping the drug also abrupt stopping is not good, you need to decrease the dose and stop

They are dangerous for normal people becuase, they add and alter these chemicals like dopamine and seratonin when it is not needed. Dangerous means not dangerous hat cause death, but it will alter the moods.

Please leave a positive rating

Regards

Dr Chaithanya
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you very much.
Dr Chaithanya
Dr Chaithanya