How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Keane Your Own Question
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1379
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Keane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband has been verbaly abusive for 9 years off and on.

Customer Question

My husband has been verbaly abusive for 9 years off and on. He has had trauma in his past life. Can he be treated"
JA: The Psychologist will need to help you with this. Please give me just a bit more information so the Psychologist can help you best. For example have you seen a Psychologist for this and if so, has there been a diagnosis?
Customer: No he has not. He had an episode this past week and it scared my family, therefore he has to move back to Texas where he is from and seek help and stop drinking. We have no money for him to stay here. I am hoping that he will true to his word and in the near future get back together. We decided in the mean time not to divorce.
JA: Is there anything else the Psychologist should be aware of?
Customer: Yes, he went to prison for 8 years for something he did not do.....rape. He was having a relationship with an older woman and did not know she was married.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Psychologist about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry that your husband has been having these difficulties with his anger, aggression, and abuse, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. If your husband truly is motivated to resolve these issues and comply with treatment, than yes there is a good chance he can be treated. The combination of therapy and medications are usually the proscribed treatment for these issues, and he has to realize that this treatment will not bring quick relief as it will take months to truly gain control of his anger and aggression issues.