Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I have come to the conclusion, with some input from a doctor

Customer Question
Hi. I have come to...
Hi. I have come to the conclusion, with some input from a doctor that the cause of the return of my smptoms was because i took xenical orlistat for weightloss for about a week. it didnt make sense to be coffee or chamomile because i drank alot of that for the 7 years on risperidone. The doctor said xenical basically cleans out anything in your system. I feel normal again, though when i actually think to myself ( im normal again) i hear a comment saying "no your not" I dont recall if this is normal for me. but it feels out of place. But I feel well an back to normal. and am living fine. The reason for this question is that after drinking one glass of black tea and another the next day, I began to feel symptoms or racing thoughts again. This was a few weeks ago as I thought I had returned to normal. I havent had a black tea since. So I am wondering of because the xenical removed the risperidone to some extent out of my system abruptly, when it got back in my system it may have stopped working as well as it has. I am unsure if I can handle never drinking black tea for the rest of my life, in fact I have a tea business. I also have felt a few effects possibly from risperidone which i never felt when i initially began it. This included a small quick disseyness when i get up quickly. and also going to the bathroom more often, although that was an issue before as I am over weight.I have the extra 05 and 1mgs but do not want to take it. At this point i feel fine, but am worried about not having coffe/black tea again, as it seemed to bother me. If you think the risperidone is not working fully, should I increase? Or should I wait it out, as it was the end of march when this black tea problem arose. Will the effect of risperdone grow stronger or work better in a month or two?
Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mental Health
4/22/2016
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

I am a psychiatrist and i believe i can help you with your queries.

Kindly answer a few queries.

1) How many days have passed since you have stopped taking tea and coffee ?

2) What is the current dose of risperidone that you are taking and since when have you been taking this dose ?

Regards

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Hi this question is for DR Z. I thought I was asking him a new question, he is more familiar with my situation

Thanks

Mental Health Professional: Camille-Mod,
 replied 1 year ago
Camille-Mod

Hi, I am the category Moderator for this topic. Per your request, I have send a message to Dr. Z, when he comes online, he will assist you. Thank you for your patience :-) Camille - Moderator

Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

Sorry for the delay, I am not online as often as I used to be these days. As I stated before the Black Tea can increase dopamine levels which can cause an increase in psychotic symptoms which is why the Risperidone may appear to not be as effective. In addition, tolerance can be achieved with long-term use of Risperidone, so it could be one of these things or a combination (I would bet it is a combination effect from your black tea use, tolerance, and the weight loss drug that you did take). Typically Risperidone should start to work within 2 weeks as the atypical antipsychotics work fairly fast, so if you are still have recurrent symptoms at this time after about a month, you may want to consider raising the dose of the Risperidone. An increase at .5mg would be conservative and could produce beneficial results for you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok, so could it be that it's not working properly as it used to because of the interference I had with the xenical, as in its not as effective and I need to increase. I think I read somewhere that if you stop risperidone abruptly when you start again it doesn't work as well. is this correct? Is this why I should possibly increase ?
Thanks

It is possible that stopping the Risperidone and continuing it later could lower its effectiveness, but this does not happen often, so I would not worry about it. Instead you should consider just increasing the Risperidone because it is not as effective for you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, thanks

You are most welcome. I wish you all the best.

I hope this answers your questions and gives you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns as I am happy to assist and support you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.

Dr. Z
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist