How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Keane Your Own Question
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1379
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Keane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have children from a previous marraige. My wife has no

Customer Question

I have children from a previous marraige. My wife has no children and suffers from infertility. I have participated in several fertility treatments with her and been very supportive. I currently have joint custody of my 2 young boys. Their mother has broken the decree regarding custodial issues several times, impacting my time and relationship with my boys. I feel like I need to protect my rights legally by hiring an attorney. When ever 8 mention this my wife becomes upset. She says that we can not pursue both fertility treatment and legal issues at the same time. I feel like I'm being put in a place to choose between her and my boys.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. May I ask, what is your specific mental health question that you would like an answer to in regards ***** ***** situation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My wife suffers from anxiety. When she is faced with stresses she shits down and walls off. Making it difficult to discuss and Handel these situations. I am sruggling with communicating.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Is your wife getting any treatment for her anxiety/stress? Have you considered couples counseling?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is on an SRI. I have suggested counciling but it was not rcvd well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has met with a psychiatrist for several years.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your response. A SSRI antidepressant is a good first step, but she may need an adjustment in the dose or a different medication if she currently has anxiety issues. There is not a lot of options ahead of you if she is unwilling to seek out counseling because you are only in control of your actions, not hers, so if her anxiety/stress is not allowing her to listen or compromise than that is a choice she is making. You can consider writing a letter to her so that you can put down your thoughts in a more orderly way to which she may better respond to. Try to compromise with her and acknowledge her concerns, but still validate yours as well. Another option would be that you can seek out counseling on your own and usually the other person will ask to join because of a curiosity as to what is being said about them. At least the counseling for yourself would be helpful in allowing you to vent.