How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Keane Your Own Question
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1379
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Keane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter is 21 and while upgrading high school she got

Customer Question

my daughter is 21 and while upgrading high school she got pressure in maths and feeling depressed for last few months, she has rduced her diet and lost too much weight, he is not listening and always makes arguments negatively. she is reluctant to see Dr. Kindly advise me, thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry that your daughter is struggling with this level of depression, I can understand why you would be concerned for her. Unfortunately because she is an adult, she does not have to take your advice to see a doctor as it is her choice alone to do so. Given that she is resistant to seeing a psychologist or a psychiatrist, I would recommend offering her to try St. Johns Wort and/or Omega-3 as these natural supplements may help alleviate some of her depressive symptoms and improve her mood, motivation, and diet. You can only do so much with your recommendations though as you are not in control of her actions, so she is the one that is going to have to decide to take the necessary steps forward to help herself and her well being.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Dr, as she is not eating enough and her weight has been dropped drastically, can u suggest some thing on this please
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

If her weight has dropped dramatically and she is not eating enough to sustain her daily than this is a grave medical concern and eventually it will cause her to be taken to the ER when she passes out or just has no energy to do anything. Right now she can consider taking those Ensure or Nestle nutritional supplement drinks as they are small, but a few a day can provide her with the calories and protein that she needs, but this is only a temporary fix as she will need to start treating the depression which is the cause of her weight loss and poor eating habits.