How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Keane Your Own Question
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1379
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Keane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I a, concerned about a friend of mine, she rang me and said

Customer Question

Hi I a, concerned about a friend of mine, she rang me and said she had finally received video footage from an anonymous source of her husband and a friend of his having sex with some woman
After viewing the recording I was shocked to see a video of only one man who was not even her husband doing no such thing as she had described.
I told her that she is imagining these things etc. she told me she also has the audio recording of him cheating , this also was something totally different.
I know she takes recreational drugs sometimes but then again so do many others I know, they never experienced a false sense of reality such as this.
I am concerned for her as she does not believe me when I tell her it's not true about her visions on the tape. She thinks I am also covering up for her husband..
How can I help her, what's happening to her?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am sorry that your friend is experiencing these symptoms, I can understand how distressing this can be for her and for you to see her like this. What I can tell you is that it appears your friend is experiencing symptoms of psychosis as she clearly has hallucinations and delusions based on your description, but what I cannot tell you is if this is an abnormal reaction to the illicit drugs and/or medications she may be taking or if these are signs of an organic disorder like Schizophrenia. Unfortunately delusions and hallucinations are not something that can be talked out of and the only way to treat them is with proper medications and that means your friend must see a psychiatrist and be put on a good antipsychotic regimen. If this is just a reaction to illicit substances and/or medications than the psychotic symptoms will be temporary and she will not have to be on the medications for long, but if this is an organic disorder than most likely she will have to be on an antipsychotic regimen for the rest of her life. So at this point your friend must see a psychiatrist, but she must go voluntarily as she is not a danger to herself or others.