How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kaushik Your Own Question
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 4661
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Kaushik is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What is delusional disorder? my brother in law lives with

Customer Question

what is delusional disorder? my brother in law lives with his mom and they have moved twice because he thinks the neighbors are listening to their conversations and plotting to hurt him and steal from him. We sent him to a psychiatrist and according to my bro in law, he was told to move again. Every time they move, these neighbors find out where they have moved and they contact the new landlords and poison the them against my brother in law. He is trying to convince my mother in law to move again. Please help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 1 year ago.


Welcome to the site.

I am sorry to learn about your situation that you find yourself in but you see at the core of it Delusional disorder is a condition where in the person affected develops a false firm and rather unshakable belief which has no basis or ground or logic but the belief supersedes and goes beyond any sort of reasoning and logic that tries to subdue or go against the belief. In this case of your brother in law, he has developed what is clinically termed as PERSECUTORY DELUSION where he harbors persecutory beliefs of being followed, stalked or spied on by neighbors.

You see your brother in law does not see logic nor does he want to understand that he is delusional and it is only his false belief which is making him behave in this particular manner, so no amount of counseling is going to help him since he lacks insight / awareness into his illness.

At this moment when he is delusional and increasingly becoming paranoid what he needs is anti psychotic medication like olanzapine or quetiapine plus one mood stabiliser such as sodium valproate ( depakene) or divalproex (depakote) would help him to come out of this condition for good. So, the psychiatrist would be the best person to prescribe him this drug regime. Hopefully, this will be a formidable ploy to make him overcome this condition and get peace in his life and also the stability.

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a Positive Rating If you are satisfied with the answer.