Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I am 38. I have an obsession problem. I will give some back

Customer Question
Hello my name is *****...
Hello my name is ***** ***** I am 38. I have an obsession problem. I will give some back story to help you understand. My best friend and I had the idea to start our own gold mine. This was about 5 years ago. In the years to follow I have acquired most of the equipment to start. It cost quite a bit and took even more time than I wish to admit. I have even gone to the Yukon and worked for the season but it was working for someone else. Now I almost have everything I need to go. My best friend has done next to nothing to show in anyway that he wants to be a part of it. I know I am not ready to go just yet and he says that I should wait for him to be ready and there are other sercomstances why he doesn't want to go I think like he has a girlfriend. Anyway, he is correct I am not ready and not being prepared is a sure way to fail especially when it comes to gold mining. So my question is this how do I stop obsessing about it. It is all I think about. I wake up and it's the first thing I think about I think about it all day I think about it the shower, pooping, at work, with friends, I dream about it. I have spent all my time and money on it. I have broke up with my girlfriend because she took up to much time and money of what I could have spent planning and aquiring gear. I told my best friend to f**k off and die because he isn't as enthusiastic as I am. I have a great bestie we made up and he forgave me. But I am getting a constant headache and just want to take a mental break from this. Please tell me how!!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mental Health
3/22/2016
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am sorry that you are dealing with this level of obsessive and fixated behavior, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. Typically fixated and obsessive thoughts like this are best treated with a few months of intensive Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) and the use of relaxation/Mindfulness tasks to help you lessen the intrusiveness of these obsessions in a gradual manner. Have you thought about entering into therapy to deal with this issue?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am sorry. I believe I just need a break not to remove this behavior. If I am going to succeed I need to be on my game and have full faculties. I just need to know how to turn it off for a few weeks I don't have month's.

Unfortunately that is not how treatment works; most likely it will take you months on intensive CBT to overcome these obsessions and fixed thought process. There is no one technique to help you overcome this as it takes systematic therapy for this to be successful and help you move forward, so I would encourage you to see a psychologist/therapist in your area to begin treatment as soon as you can

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am sorry I am confused I thought you were a psychologist/ therapist?

I am a psychologist, but this is not a treatment website. This is only a Q&A website, meaning that we only answer questions here...if you need to undergo treatment you need to see a mental health professional in your area, which you do. I believe CBT therapy would be best for you as it is the most effective for treating obsessive and fixated thoughts.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK thank you for your time.

You are most welcome. Good luck.

Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist