Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My girlfriend exhibits many of the classics signs of BPD.

Customer Question
Hello: My girlfriend...
Hello: My girlfriend exhibits many of the classics signs of BPD. However, we have good times too. How often do people with BPD tend to exhibit the anger and depresson versus not?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mental Health
3/20/2016
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Unfortunately individuals with BPD are very unpredictable and there is no specific pattern of behavior or mood swings noted, as opposed to someone with Bipolar Disorder. Mood swings of anger and depression can happen multiple times a day, multiple times a week, or even just once a week or once every couple weeks. Euthymic mood (normal mood functioning) can last for as long as a few hours to weeks, as it just depends on the individual and the severity of the BPD. So there is no way to know based on a diagnosis alone how often or long your partner will have mood swings of anger and depression

Thanks. It makes it difficult for me because the bad times are really not tolerable and the good times seem just the opposite.

Unfortunately BPD is such an unpredictable disorder and prevalent on outside factors as well...for instance if your partner is very stressed with work and other issues, than the symptoms of BPD will typically be more prevalent. And then when her life is relatively calm, they can be less prevalent. This is the major problem with treating this disorder because the symptoms come about rapidly and without warning.

I hope this helps to provide you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns as I would be happy to continue assisting you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.