Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
74815544

I have been currently hired to work at a prestigious school

Customer Question

i have been currently hired to work at a prestigious school for children of wealthy parents, i was hired to work as an armed officer, i happen to be a 25 1/2 yr. law enforcement retired officer who has been psychologically cleared and have carried a firearm for the last 25 years, I retired last august (6 months ago) and have never had any issued on or off duty with my firearms and has never been disciplined during my 25 years and have a spotless record. I am licensed and certified to carry and work as a armed officer in the city of new York without restrictions at all, now the school board of directors want me to take a psychological exam, when six months ago i was cleared by N.Y.P.D. psych unit to carry and work armed.
this was not explained to me when i was hired and i am worried that there's always a 50/50 possibility that i fail, and i am worried that if i fail could this get back to the NYPD
and maybe have my licence revoked, as of right now i am ok and my license doesn't expire to 2019 an i need this to make a living my daughter is going to college and i have to pay for it and my pension isn't going to be enough and with my licence i can get decent paying jobs and without it I would be at the bottom of the barrel with basic security guard pay, and that is not going to cut it.
Category: Mental Health
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I can definitely understand your concern about failing a psychological exam or possibly having your license revoked, so let me put you at ease regarding a few thins. First off there is definitely not a 50/50 chance you will fail a psychological exam, if you have been tested before and passed, have not mental health disorders, and you are relatively stable psychologically than the odds are around 95-97 percent that you will pass with a 3-5 percent margin of error. Also any results from a private psychologist/psychiatrist will not go to the NYPD as you will most likely sign a confidentiality waiver that only you and the school will have access to the result of this report and no one else will. As per medical privacy laws, these results cannot go to the public or any other entity or organization without your express permission unless you make a deliberate statement that you want to harm someone, harm yourself, or if you admit to the abuse of children or elders as these require an automatic waiver of your confidentiality...of course I highly doubt that you will do this, but I wanted to mention what is not covered under confidentiality. Psychological assessments are comprehensive so they do not rely on just one test to see if you are stable or not, as you are going to go through a clinical interview, ask about your personal and mental health background, and then you are probably going to take a few paper and pencil tests, then the psychologist will interpret the tests, write a report, and fill you in on the results. Also if you have a copy from the past psychological evaluation where you said you were cleared you can give that to the current psychologist as that will also bolster your case that you are stable. I have done hundreds of these risk assessment cases and it sounds like from your background that you are going to be just fine.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps to provide you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns as I would be happy to continue assisting you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.