How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Z Your Own Question
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 10643
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Z is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I married a man just as I was graduating from UMBC with a

Customer Question

I married a man just as I was graduating from UMBC with a Bachelor's Degree in Social Work. My life has been a roller coaster, full of his problems and chaos, including the devastation of my finances, resulting in the loss of two homes. I knew he was distant, asexual and just plain weird but I finally insisted that I accompany him in "getting help." He was diagnosed with Schizoid Personality Disorder but the psychologist says there is "no pathology." HOW CAN THAT BE? After 24 years of dealing with his issues and mine because of his issues I am preparing myself to exit and awaiting the financial wherewithal to go. Should I insist he get a second opinion? Is an LMHC qualified enough to handle this long entrenched MO? And, why is the mental health community assuming this is genetic rather than environmental? This man lost his mother to Hodgkins disease when he was 12 and she was very ill for 3 years prior. Why is the mental health community not considering Childhood Trauma?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry that you are struggling with this man that you married, i can understand how his behavior has been very distressing to you. I would definitely recommend a second opinion with a Psychologist (Ph.d. or Psy.D) as typically a Master's degree clinician is not well trained to diagnose and treat personality disorders. I am not sure what the therapist meant when it was stated that your husband does not have any pathology, since pathology is defined as the behavior of a disease or disorder and he definitely portrays symptoms of this Schizoid Personality Disorder, so that is the pathology right there with the signs and symptoms. Also in regards ***** ***** personality disorders, they are primarily genetic in origin (anywhere from 51-85 percent depending on the disorder and study). Also there is the prevalence of epigenetic causes which means an environmental cause can trigger a genetic change (e.g. the sun changes the DNA of our skin). So given the trauma of losing his mother may have been significant and contributed to a personality disorder, it would not have been the chief cause compared to genetic and epigenetic origins, so this is why the childhood trauma was not considered a major factor in the development of this disorder.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I am attending sessions with Tara Rhuby, LMHC, but I think this over her head.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

If you feel that this disorder is "over her head" than you should consider a second opinion with a psychologist to confirm the diagnosis or possibly explore other causes for this behavior. Most professionals are fine with second opinions and will often welcome them.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps to provide you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns as I would be happy to continue assisting you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a 5 page report from Dr. David Geiser, Ph.D. I'd like to have you read it and comment. Can I send them by email? Otherwise, I will have to take photos, I think.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

You would have to attach the report in order for me to see it.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, I have not heard from you in a couple days, I was wondering if you still have any questions you would like to ask? If not, then I would hope that you can kindly rate me for my services s that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you.