How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Z Your Own Question
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 10643
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Z is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a person has a drug problem, specifically "meth".What

Customer Question

If a person has a drug problem, specifically "meth".What should be prescribed to curb cravings and live a normal life?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Typically a prescription medication is not used as a monotherapy for treating addiction issues. If one would have an addiction problem with methamphetamine that the antidepressant Wellbutrin would be a first choice, alone with a benzodiazepine for anxiety/stress, and Dual Diagnosis therapy to help treat the addiction and the underlying causes of said addiction. Wellbutin would be a first choice because it increases Dopamine levels like Methamphetamine does, but if Wellbutrin does not work than any other SSRI antidepressant can be tried to see if they benefit the individual.

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns as I would be happy to continue assisting you regarding this issue

Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, I have not heard from you in a couple days, I was wondering if you still have any questions you would like to ask? If not, then I would hope that you can kindly rate me for my services s that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you.