Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My grandson has moved in with me because his mother put him…

Customer Question
My grandson has moved in...
My grandson has moved in with me because his mother put him out. I am 73 years old .
He doesn't get along with his dad. I don't know what to do? He will not open up to me
I know he does have anger problems. When you try and give advise he doesn't want to
hear what I have to say. I ask him if he is depress. Because all he does is look at tv
all day..He is in the 12 grade and he does do to school everyday..He has been in a couple of fightsl I suggested that he go to theraphy but he does not believe. His mother and dad
doesn't either. I suggest therapy long time ago but they did not get him help. I do not know what to do.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mental Health
3/6/2016
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry that you are having this difficulty with your grand-son, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. Unfortunately it is up to him if he wants to seek treatment or not as that is his right given his age, so if he is refusing treatment than you have to respect that. You can suggest that he take a natural supplement like St. Johns Wort as this may improve his mood if he does have depression or you can speak to the school have their school district counselor talk to him as he may be more receptive to a stranger than a family member.

I agree, this is why I wanted him to talk with someone else, thanks

You are most welcome. I truly hope he will change his mind, but it has to be his choice to seek treatment. Good luck and I wish both of you all the best.

No I do not want to talk live. I thought the price was $5.00 to confirm and $21.00 for a typed answer total $26.00. Is this right

The phone conversation I believe is an option, but you do not have to take it. 26 dollars is the total I believe, but experts do not have access to the financial dealings on this website. If you have questions you can contact customer service.