Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I am a 22 year old woman and I am having a little worried…

Customer Question
Hi, I am a 22...
Hi, I am a 22 year old woman and I am having a little worried about my mental health. As a whole I'd say I live a pretty good life but I have had some concerns about my behavior for a while now. Basically, I think I might be bipolar because my moods are very up and down. Also, when my mood is very up I have a lot of trouble with responsibility and it has cost me two jobs so far. I know I cannot blame my entire life on something else, but I am extremely impulsive when my mood is up. When my mood is down I tend to try and self-medicate with alcohol and drugs, but lately I have tried my best not to let myself do that. Honestly, I am just very concerned that if I do not try and see if I am bipolar or something else that I will never live a regular and productive life that I can be proud of. Is it the best idea to see a mental health counselor on my college campus? I really want to begin being more responsible and reliable.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mental Health
3/4/2016
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I can definitely understand your concern when you think about the term "Bipolar" as it can have a lot of negative connotations to it, but I want to tell you that most people with Bipolar Disorder lead a very productive life once they are properly medicated. Bipolar Disorder, while cannot be cured, can be effectively managed with the proper medication regimen; because this is a neurochemical imbalance the only treatment is medication so I do not believe seeing your mental health counselor on campus will be of much help regarding treatment. Your mental health counselor can provide you with information about Bipolar Disorder, but eventually you will need to start seeing a psychiatrist regarding the proper medications. I usually recommend patients to see their general physician first so that you can be referred to a psychiatrist as soon as possible (this usually speed up the wait time to see the psychiatrist) and from there you can discuss your symptoms, get assessed, and get properly treated. But like I said most people with this disorder lead successful and productive lives when medicated, so most likely you will be able to move forward with your life with proper treatment.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns as I would be happy to continue assisting you regarding this issue.

Thank you very much, I do have a psychologist that diagnosed my adhd but it is helpful to know I need a psychiatrist instead. I want a stable productive life more than anything so I will do whatever it takes. I feel as though I have plenty of drive in life but my mood is just so unreliable that I can't do anything with that drive.

I definitely understand how overwhelming this can be and that is why you do not have to go about this alone. A psychiatrist will definitely help you with the proper medications that will help to control your mood. Relief will not come over night, but if you and your psychiatrist work together I am positive that you both will find the proper medication regimen to help you succeed.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.