Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Does Cymbalta contribute to flat affect? I am feeling no…

Customer Question
Does Cymbalta contribute to flat...
Does Cymbalta contribute to flat affect?
I am feeling no emotions ever since I started taking Zoloft and now Cymbalta. My anxiety is much less but so is any emotional connection I would have to people or situations.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mental Health
2/29/2016
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. May I ask, at what dose of the Cymbalta are you taking?

60mg at night
I am also taking 60 mg of Vyvanse. I am not allowed to be treated for my low testosterone levels due to my prostate cancer and the Vyvanse for started to give me focus and energy.

Thank you for your response. Typically if there is too much Serotonin this can cause a flat affect or emotional numbing for certain people, but at 60mg/day that is not high enough to cause this symptom usually. It is possible though that with your Low Testosterone, you may be more sensitive to this possible side effect of the Serotonin based antidepressants. Low testosterone though is usually going to be the chief cause for flat affect and emotional numbing, but the Cymbalta may be unwittingly contributing to that because of your Low Testosterone.