How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Z Your Own Question
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 10643
Experience:  Psy.D. in Clinical Forensic Psychology with a background in treating severe mental illnesses.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Dr. Z is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I just broke up with my girlfriend of 9 months. She is 64,

Customer Question

I just broke up with my girlfriend of 9 months. She is 64, divorced twice, just ended an 11 year relationship before me. She does not speak to her mother, 2 sisters, daughter and her son OR all people in her immediate family. She told me that after 64 years, she has finally found what she has been looking for. I have custody of my 14 year old twins. My kids adored her up until Christmas when everything had to be her way. Then their relationship deteriorated. My kids voiced their dismay with her. On Monday, my daughter posted a very nice picture of herself with pink extensions and my-ex took it upon herself to show all her fellow employees and responded by saying she looked like a hooker, does she take credit cards, etc. I told her she was wrong, I was hurt and angry and told her we need a break. She said breaks are for immature people. Good bye. I only pointed out the bad things, but she has brought many positive things into our family. I know the obvious answer is to walk away and don't look back. What I want to know, through counseling, can things be turned around?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Its impossible to predict the future as anything can happen and one's response to therapy is dependent on a number of factors, but to answer your question it is possible that with therapy these issues can be resolved. For some time your ex-partner was well-liked by your children and probably other people you knew, so something triggered this behavior meaning that the behavior can probably be treated and is not part of her ingrained identity. Now again though treatment truly depends on the effort she puts into it, so if she puts relatively no effort into her treatment than it is likely there will be next to nothing in terms of benefits. Still the use of therapy can be helpful in this instance if your ex-partner chooses to engage in such forms of treatment with you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have no problems being involved with her seeking treatment since i believe it is something we have to work on together.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

That is good and if she is willing to do therapy with you than it is possible these issues can be overcome.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome. I wish you both all the best.