Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.
14832673

How do I find a very effective psychiatrist Psychologist

Customer Question

How do I find a very effective psychiatrist Psychologist with a demonstrated record of success treating the mental ailments I believe I have
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Z replied 1 year ago.

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. Typically you would first want to start with a search of psychologists and psychiatrists that specialize in treating your specific mental health issues by using this website where you can narrow down the "issues" that you want treated:

https://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/?tr=Hdr_SubBrand

Then after that comes the more difficult and intuition part because you would want to meet a number of those psychologist and psychiatrists and ask them their experience with treating your specific issues and how they would go about it. Obviously they cannot refer you to a "reference" of a former patient as that would violate medical privacy laws so you would have to judge them based on their level of experience, demeanor, and what they describe as their approach to treatment. There is no fool proof way in choosing a psychologist and psychiatrist (just like any other medical doctor), but this would be the approach that makes the most sense.