Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Is an 11 yo. Girl physically cabable of full sex and I read…

Customer Question
Is an 11 yo. Girl...
Is an 11 yo. Girl physically cabable of full sex and climax I read worrying reports daily of girls 9 and older being raped .is the assault at all possible with girl being under developed. Will there needlessly be plenty damage ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mental Health
2/22/2016
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

Thank you for using just answer. Are you asking about physical or psychological damage because you asked this question in the mental health category meaning I can only comment on the psychological damage of sexual assault. If you want to know about physical damage I can refer this question to pediatrics

Good Day Doctor. Yes i am trying to fathom and better understand the psychological damage to the victim. Also behavioural patterns later in life, dating, marriage etc. Regards. Martin

Its impossible to know the extent of the psychological damage done to a child victim of sexual assault without a face to face assessment because it depends on the severity of the assault and the individual's level of resilience to psychological trauma. For instance if I take a group of people and expose them to the same traumatic event, its a guarantee that there will be a varied reaction as some will be very affected and others not as much. This is due to an individual's natural resilience that we are born with and also develop as we grow. The good news is that if a child of sexual assault gets treated right away with a psychologist/therapist that specializes in this area than most likely the child will be able to move forward from the trauma and life a well-adjusted life. It is those children of sexual assault that do not get treatment that can have more life-long problems such as anxiety, depression, self-harm, difficulties in relationships with either moving too fast sexually in a relationship or staying away from relationships all together. So if any child of sexual assault is treated as soon as possible than the damage is minimal and the child will be able to move forward, date, have relationships, normal mood function, etc....but if the child is not treated than that can leave them vulnerable to more psychological problems down the road. But again it varies, I have seen cases of adults who were sexually assaulted as children receive no treatment and live a well adjusted life because they have a good level of resilience that they were born with. So it there is no way to predict how someone specifically will behave or act in the future, we can only assume and speak in generalities regarding this subject as every person and situation is different, but the general consensus is that it would still be best for any child victim to get treatment right away to give that child the best possibility of moving forward.

Hi Dr.Z, makes perfect sense. Trying to understand the point regarding Juvenile Marriage. Thank You for your prompt reply.

Some cultures are open to juvenile marriage as a traditional view point, but most Western Cultures frown upon this. I am happy that I was able to help you and give you some perspective on this issue. I wish you all the best.

I hope this helps to provide you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns as I would be happy to continue assisting you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.