Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My husband belittles me and is rude to me only in front of…

Customer Question
My husband belittles me...

My husband belittles me and is rude to me only in front of others. Otherwise, he's a great person. I've told him to stop countless times. help! Mostly in front of our grown children. He has MS and I'm his caregiver. I do a great job at taking sole care of him.

Doctor's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

He has MS and stays home. I work full time.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mental Health
He is so sweet, but he also can be the nastiest person too. I know the MS is part of it, but I don't understand how he can be so rude to me. I cook his meals, take good care of him etc. It feels like that's how he really feels about me when he acts like that. The kindness otherwise is just to keep me around to take care of him.
I'm still waiting and I'll be leaving in a few minutes. I'm going to cancel this soon.
2/22/2016
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. How old is your husband? Has he considered going to therapy or taking any medication for his behavior? Also you did not ask a question in your statement ,so may I ask what is your specific mental health question that you would like an answer to in regards ***** ***** situation?

How can I get him to stop this behavior?
He is 61

Unfortunately it is not up to you to make him stop. Just like you are the only person in control of your behavior and actions, he is the only person in control of his actions and that means only he can choose to stop this behavior towards you. You can say and do everything right and be the most perfect individual out there, but in the end the decision is up to him to stop the behavior. Given that the irritability from his MS may be causing this, I would recommend that he see a psychiatrist for a possible medication management or consider going to therapy to better control his behavior, but he has to be willing to do these things.