Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I am on a 20 mg daily dose of paroxetine to help primarily…

Customer Question
Hello: I am on a 20...
Hello:
I am on a 20 mg daily dose of paroxetine to help primarily with anxiety and insomnia. I have read that paroxetine is quite anticholinergic--the highest of all SSRIs. Would like to try Cymbalta, and I am wondering if the anticholinergic load is less for this drug? I'm a 56 year-old menopausal woman already having memory issues. Don't want to make that any worse. Thanks for your help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mental Health
2/21/2016
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. The anticholinergic effects associated with Cymbalta is definitely a lot lower than the Paxil if that is your concern, but studies have shown that Effexor is considered to have less of an anticholinergic effect than Cymbalta if you wanted to try Effexor instead. Overall though the levels of anticholinergic activity with Cymbalta or Effexor is considerably low and most likely will not cause any short or long-term effects to your cognitive functions.

Good information. Thank you.

You are most welcome. I wish you all the best with your continued treatment.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.