Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I had reiki healing done to me which cured my depression and…

Customer Question
Hello, I had reiki healing...

Hello, I had reiki healing done to me which cured my depression and gave me sensations I have never experienced however it lasted 4 days. My body was vibrating and I felt angelic what happen to me and how do I get this experience back and to last longer. I've looked into Quantum Healing techniques some former doctors use as conventional ways are failing more by the day. Thanks.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mental Health
2/22/2016
Mental Health Professional: Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC replied 2 years ago
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC

Hello there, my name is ***** ***** I am a psychotherapist in private practice in New York. Thank you for using Just Answer. It sounds like you are one of the many people who have reported having a very positive reaction to a Reiki treatment,

At the simplest, it appears that Reiki treatment helps lessen the impact of stress, releasing tension from the entire system. Not only does the person move toward his or her own unique balance in body, mind and spirit, but also, depending on the level of physical health when Reiki begins, the body's own healing mechanisms often begin functioning more effectively.

How exactly Reiki releases tension and helps the body heal has yet to be answered. Although there is increasing research evidence documenting the effects of Reiki (such as lowered heart rate, blood pressure, and stress hormones; increased immune strength), we have only broad theories as to what causes these effects or the pathways through which the healing occurs.

The multileveled, rapid response to Reiki suggests a complex process that engages many body systems, simultaneously or in quick succession, shifting the body from domination by the "fight or flight" (stress) response to the relaxation response, and supporting the body's own healing mechanisms. Some researchers theorize that Reiki's physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual healing effect is triggered on a subphysical level, perhaps in what science refers to as the biofield. The biofield is the term medical science has adopted for the intricately layered vibrational energy field that is said to surround and penetrate the physical body. The biofield is extremely subtle and there is as yet no conventional scientific technology that can document its existence or otherwise study it directly. However, for thousands of years, traditional, indigenous, prescientific medical systems have recognized a balanced, evenly pulsing biofield as the foundation of health and wellbeing, and seen any disruption of this balance as the beginning of illness.

The healing traditions of indigenous cultures around the world have used vibration to restore balance through ceremonial drumming, through instruments such as the didgeridoo and the tamboura, and through chanting, overtoning, and humming. Moreover, the therapeutic value of vibration in the forms of sound and music is increasingly supported by science. Perhaps Reiki's benefits occur through the same vibrational mechanism, a process which likely involves increasing coherence and decreasing dissonance in the system.

One theory is that the Reiki practitioner's hands carry the energetic vibrations of the recipient's wellness. The effect of Reiki could be seen as a shift in attention in which the recipient becomes aware of the wellness that exists deep within his or her being regardless the current level of health. Reiki could then be understood as entraining the recipient back to health in a process similar to the way we relax when in the presence of someone who is deeply peaceful. Reiki seems to connect the practitioner with an inner source of peace no matter how he or she feels in the moment.
Many therapies aim to restore balance in the biofield- Acupuncture, Qigong, Shiatsu, and Pranayama Yoga to name a few. Reiki appears to be the subtlest of these therapies. I hope this information answers your question of what happened to you and my suggestion is that you continue to have Reiki sessions to increase the effects for you and/or to add a yoga or meditation practice to your daily routine. Your personality, temperament and physical being may be very receptive to the benefits of these practices. Please let me know if you have any other questions. I wish you all the best. Sincerely, Linda

Hello Azim, I am hoping you found the information I provided to you about your Reiki experience helpful and was wondering if there is anything else I can help you with? Sincerely, Linda

Linda D.
Linda D.
Linda D., Psychotherapist, LMSW, CASAC