Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Have a housemate that almost burned down our 3 unit home…

Customer Question
Have a housemate that almost...
Have a housemate that almost burned down our 3 unit home today. She put something in the oven that was on fire when I went to take a shower, asked her to take care of it - still on fire when I finished. Put it out myself. She is passed out from wine and Xanax or Pain killers currently. We have 2 babies on the 3rd floor that would not survive a fire - What Can I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mental Health
2/21/2016
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. If your housemate is a danger to others and herself because of a mental health disorder than you can have her involuntarily hospitalized by just calling 911 and telling them of the situation. But if involuntary hospitalization is not an option and she refuses treatment there is not much you can do besides contacting an attorney to try to have her removed from the home for your safety or you can move out on your own.

Thank you - I was afraid of that

I am very sorry, but if your housemate will not get treatment than you are going to have to focus on your health and safety now and do what is best for you and the others living in this home.