Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

Lately I have been having bad panic attacks and been so

Customer Question
stressed out. It's been from...
Lately I have been having bad panic attacks and been so stressed out. It's been from work, everyday life from having children, my husband who has bad mood swings, and also from my work giving me full time hours and I am a part time technician. My mother died last Feb. and ever since then my depression and anxiety has been so horrible. I have been admitted twice to a mental health facility twice. Once in 2009 and 2011. I don't get suicidal thoughts anymore, but find that I have to take my anxiety medication twice a day which is what I am suppose to do. My attacks have been getting more frequently and have been so bad I had an anxiety attack at work. My husband doesn't understand that I deal with mental health issues and it side tracks me because it makes me lose focus and concentration. I've been trying for two months now to get into see a psychiatrist. My regular doctor gave me venlaxfaxine er 150mg capsules it seems to help, but I am feeling that I may need to go onto a higher dose because I have been so sad and my anxiety medication is Xanax 1mg. She has been giving me 15 days to hold me over and I am extremely upset because the first psychiatric appointment I went all the way down town and waited in line for them to tell me that my insurance was expired so I gave them my new insurance card and they did not accept Cigna. So I have waited another month and now I get a phone call that I missed that my id was not working from the representative from a different place and I have been working so much that she said on the voicemail that if I did not call back in time by noon that she was going to cancel my appointment for Monday Feb. 22nd at 9:45 am. I have waited so long for this appointment and have even scheduled off work. So hearing that message has been a disappointment because I really need to get in to see a psychiatrist and let them know my feelings and my issues with my medications because they are not working. I feel like I keep trying and then something happens and I will be so much more disappointed if this second appointment gets cancelled. My regular doctor wants me to see a psychiatrist. And I know that I need to as well. Its a horrible feeling and I keep getting really bad panic attacks and I did go to the ER last Friday and they told me to not work for 72 hours. I honestly need some answers.
Thanks *****
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mental Health
2/20/2016
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am sorry that you are having this difficulty getting an appointment with a psychiatrist, I can understand how distressing this can be for you. May I ask, what is your specific mental health question that you would like an answer to in regards ***** ***** situation?

Just ways to deal with how I am feeling right now its so horrible.

I can definitely understand your frustration with the mental health treatment system, but it definitely sounds like you are going to need an adjustment of medications. Because the Venlafaxine has been effective for you at 150mg/day, then most likely an increase to 225mg/day will be the next step. As for the Xanax, the problem here is that Xanax is an Addictive medication and a Controlled Substance so many psychiatrists are not going to want to keep you on that medication for the long-term (usually only a few weeks) and may not want to increase the dose either. Other substitutes that you can try would be Vistaril, Pregablin, or even a Remeron augment attached to your Venlafaxine.

I know you feel "horrible" right now, but you are going to need to work within this system so that you can get the proper medications. I can show you some relaxation techniques, but truthfully those are probably going to do next to nothing in terms of benefits as your anxiety, panic, and depression are much too severe.