Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

I do not know what to do to establish a good relationship…

Customer Question
I do not know what...
I do not know what to do to establish a good relationship with my granddaughter. I know that she did not want to move from her home following the interruption of her divorced father due to his remarriage and moving to the east coast. As I write, I know she is suffering a sense of loss, also her sister is away at college. This being their first year of separation. How do I help her adjust?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mental Health
2/20/2016
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. I am very sorry that your grand-daughter is having a difficult time adjusting, but sometimes less is more in this case as you should also give her space. Teenagers typically like to have space from familial adults during difficult situations and would rather consult with other peers or non family member adults. What you can try to do is try to join her with activities that she finds pleasurable and try to encourage her to seek out her passions and dreams. You do not have to talk about the serious issues that are bothering her, but instead you can be a form of escape from those serious issues. In addition, encouraging her to be involved with groups where she can bond with others and vent would be helpful for your relationship with her because then she may be in a better mood and more receptive towards you. Ultimately you do not want to push in this regard and try to be patient as your grand-daughter adjusts, but helping her to move forward and not focus on these serious issues can be helpful.

Thank you....what is the rating scale?

I believe the rating scale is up to 5 stars, so you can choose which ever rating, or how many stars, you believe I deserve. Thank you.