Mental Health

Have Mental Health Questions? Ask a Psychiatrist Online

Mental Health

I am my wife were given MMPI's and only given 370 questions?

Customer Question
Talking with another Doc he...
I am my wife were given MMPI's and only given 370 questions? Talking with another Doc he had some hesitiations. Is this a valid test?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We were going through a divorce. Now on the road to reconciliation! It was part of court agreement. I also took for the sake of some criminal matters perpetuated agaisnt me
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mental Health Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Mental Health
2/19/2016
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Z, Psychologist replied 1 year ago
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist

*This website DOES NOT constitute treatment and only provides information and advice in a Q&A format. For treatment (therapy and/or medications) you must go to a licensed professional in your area. Please note that anything said here is not private or confidential, as this is a public forum.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. The MMPI-2 is considered one of the most valid personality measurements on the market, but the test has 560 items on it, not 370 items, so I am not sure what test you were given. Also the MMPI-2 is meant to help aid in diagnosis and treatment, I am not sure how it can help aid in the reconciliation of one's marriage. Maybe these are the questions the other doctor had regarding this test. But overall this test is empirically valid and reliable

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The PsyD told me he would score the test at 370 and then make a decision to give the rest depending on score? It was the MMPI, there was the question of a custody battle in the air and that was the purpose of the psyche eval.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
In addition we were both given another paper that we were to complete the sentence. For instance:I like ______________________
My favorite thing______________
there were about 15 such questions.

He would score the test at 370 and then make a decision to give the rest depending on the score? Well i can tell you right there that alone makes the test invalid and unreliable. The MMPI-2 must be given in full for it to be valid and reliable. I have used it to determine custody, but only in cases where the fitness of the parent is in question.

As for the other test, it is called a Sentence Completion Test and this is a projective test that is often open to interpretation and has been shown to be unreliable and lacking validity due to wide interpretations that can be made. I personally do not like projective tests as I have found them to not be useful at all

I hope this helps to provide you some guidance on this issue. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns as I would be happy to continue assisting you regarding this issue.

*Please do not forget to leave a positive rating at the top of the page so that I can get credit for helping you. Thank you, ***** ***** appreciate it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Very helpful, thank you. Would like to talk and ask for a little further guidance. Just sent request

Unfortunately I rarely accept phone call requests due to ethical issues, but I am happy to answer any other questions you have here.

Dr. Z
Dr. Z
Dr. Z, Psychologist