Mental Health

Have mental health questions? Ask a psychiatrist online

My parents are too negative and they rarely give me room…

Customer Question
My parents are too negative...
My parents are too negative and they rarely give me room when I am stressed. I'm not sure how to talk to them about it.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Mental Health
2/19/2016
Mental Health Professional: Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist replied 2 years ago
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist

Greetings.

Welcome to the site.

I am sorry to learn about your situation and i empathize with you.

Well, first of all i would like to remind you that your parents are not your enemies but your number one well wishers and the fact that they at times become too much overbearing riding high on their emotions, this just shows that how much they love and care for you. Having said that i agree with you that at times they need to take a step back and allow you to have some personal space to sort out your life issues.

So, a simple way to seek some time alone when you are stressed out is to express yourself extremely well in front of them when you are riled up with emotions but being extremely subtle and polite in your approach. You shall take a moment with them and tell them that you are most willing to hear them out and to follow their advice but before doing that there is a heap of emotional undercurrents that you want to unload off your chest and you prefer to do that by taking some alone personal time and once you have been able to bring back tranquility to your mind then you shall yourself come forth and hear them out and try honestly to put into actions what they want to suggest. But do politely remind them that the conversations between them and you should be two ways as they also need to lend their ears to your grievances otherwise the conversation would become more like a lecture which often becomes boring to the core and serves no one's purpose.

So take a moment with them and talk to them together or individually as you may please and express all of this as said above in a polite and subtle manner and i am hopeful that they will allow you to have some personal space that you necessarily want from them

I hope this helps.

Wish you all the best.

Please kindly leave a POSITIVE RATING if you are satisfied with the answer.

Regards

If there is any further related query kindly please feel free to ask.

If there is no further queries and if you are satisfied with the answer then kindly please leave a POSITIVE RATING so that I can be credited for my service.

Regards

If there are no further queries and if you are satisfied with the answer then kindly please leave a POSITIVE RATING so that I can be credited for my service.

Regards

Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist